This whole skunk experience didn't just get me thinking about alternative ways to bond with my dogs. I began considering the ways I show my human friends how much I appreciate them when distance (thank goodness not smell) makes hugs and body language obsolete.
About five years ago, I read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman on the recommendation of a friend. She had read the book on the recommendation of her therapist. The therapist had read it on the recommendation of her marriage counselor. The book is highly recommended, but I think you can save yourself some time and money by simply reading the summary on their website.
Basically, Chapman says there are five ways people tend to show that they care:
- Words of Affirmation: hearing and reading that you are loved.
- Quality Time: having the full attention of the one you love, knowing you are heard
- Gifts: physical reminders that you are thought of and loved, especially on meaningful days
- Acts of Service: easing the burden and responsibilities of another
- Physical Touch: physical accessibility are crucial for hugs and little touches.